Gerry Douglas is a Counsellor, Learning Difficulties Specialist, Educator, Psychological Tester, and Supervisor. His ethnic heritage is Scottish and Pacifika (Fijian and Samoan). Gerry works with organisations, individuals, couples, teens, and children, helping them to reach more of their potential.
Gerry has a warm inclusive manner, a unique combination of sound academic and professional training, and more than 25 years of experience. His holistic approach incorporates careful listening, affirming your strengths, and then jointly identifying what needs to change. Gerry will help you to chart a new direction, and walk beside you encouraging and guiding, as you implement the associated changes.
In addition to Neuro-therapeutic Counselling, Gerry’s professional focus includes remediating -rather than accommodating– a variety of learning difficulties for children teens and adults. His professional point of difference incorporates re-educating and re-training the neurophysiological substrate that underlies and facilitates behaviour, as many problematic behaviours and learning disabilities are directly linked to neurophysiological dysregulation.
Accessing and re-educating three interactive aspects of neurophysiological function, is facilitated using the modalities of:
- Neurofeedback, for brain response education and training
- Biofeedback, for abdominal breathing and heartbeat education and training
- Interactive Metronome® for neurotiming education and training
These training modalities make use of the brain / body’s capacity for neuroplastic change. The net effect is a quicker release from ingrained behavioural patterns. Examples include anxiety, depression, PTSD, compulsive behaviours, angry outbursts, or repetitive negative thoughts. Defining symptoms of many learning difficulties / disabilities are greatly reduced, or are no-longer experienced. Those suffering with migraine pain are likely to experience significant relief, and the recovery time for concussion (head injury) is markedly reduced.
Gerry also has extensive experience in carrying out pre-school and classroom observations to:
- Monitor behaviour patterns associated with social, emotional, or cognitive development
- Complete a functional behavioural assessment
Go to this page to make an appointment, including the option of a 30-minute online appointment at a discounted price of $50.00 This will enable you to check if the professional services Gerry offers are a good fit for your particular circumstances.
If you are making an enquiry on behalf of an organisation, you’re welcome to ask for the contact details of numerous professionals who will vouch for the work Gerry does.
Registered Teacher No. 350847
University of Auckland Qualification:
Master of Philosophy with Honours Majoring in Education.
Papers & Practicum Include: Counselling; Applied Behaviour Analysis; Special Education Learning & Assessment; Psychological Testing & Assessment; Statistics & Research Design; Developmental, Educational, & Organisational Psychology
University of Waikato Qualification:
Bachelor of Social Science Majoring in Psychology.
Stage III final year papers include: Psychological Assessment; Pure & Applied Behaviour Analysis; Psychological Testing & Clinical Psychology; Abnormal Psychology
Wellington Teachers College 3-year Diploma with Commendation, Majoring in Music
Diploma of Teaching
Trained Teachers Certificate
Professional Development Training Includes:
- “The Brain & Behavior: Comprehensive Clinical, Course in the Neurobiology of Everyday Life.” A Masters Level Program with Neuro-Psychiatrist Dr Daniel Amen
- Imago Relationship Therapy Training
- EMDR -Basic and Advanced training with Dr Francine Shapiro PhD, and Dr Andrew Leeds PhD, EMDR Institute in the USA
- Interpersonal Neurobiology, including the Neurobiology of Psychotherapy. Training with Dr Louis Cozolino PhD, and Dr Daniel Siegel MD, in Australia
- Interactive Metronome Provider Certification training, in the USA
- Advanced training in pIR HEG Neurofeedback & infrared imaging, with Dr Jeffery Carmen PhD, in the USA
Further Questions? Book a 30-minute online appointment for the discounted cost of $50.00
Ready to book and pay for a full appointment? The professional fee is $200 an hour. Go to this link where you can select the appointment type suited to your needs, then book and pay for the appointment.